Thursday, December 4, 2008

A "Day of Disaster"

[Image: Josef Litobarski, 2008, Attribution 3.0 Unported]

Here's a joke for you:

Q: Why is the University of Trento's language centre like the European Parliament?

A: Because the ceiling has collapsed in both.

Okay, so that's not really much of a joke - but it's true. The European Parliament was relocated to Brussels this year after the roof of the chamber caved in. My Italian test was cancelled today because water damage from the recent snow caused the roof to collapse above the coffee machine.

As it is impossible to do anything in Italy without coffee, there was no choice but to close down the whole building for a couple of days. Not that I'm complaining - it means I have more time to cram Italian irregular verb conjugations into my skull.

But to compound things, and to reinforce my image of today as a "day of disaster", I came home to find that our macbook G4 won't load. It gets stuck on the grey apple loading screen (the "grey screen of death"). It's like karma - I get a few more days to revise for my Italian exam, but I must pay for it with the loss of my macbook.

I tried restarting in safe mode (by holding down the shift key during the restart) but to no avail. I also restarted in "verbose mode" (apologies for all the quotation marks in today's post) by holding the apple key and "v."

Verbose mode told me that I have a "disk0s3: I/O error" - which is apparently something to do with the hard-drive.

Best possible scenario: I can sort it out with Disk Warrior.

Most likely scenario: I have to format the hard-drive and reinstall Mac OS X.

Worst possible scenario: The hard-drive and/or computer needs replacing.

If this IS karma - then I'm not sure the extra time for my test is worth the loss of a macbook. I guess I must have done something wrong in a past life.

Who am I kidding? I've done more than enough things wrong in THIS life! :-)

No comments: